Thursday 21 February 2013

SOTA - Mynydd Troed - GW/SW-009

Mynydd Troed - 609m, 4 points

Association: Wales  Region: South Wales  
Latitude: 51 57 21 N, Longitude: 3 12 54 W
Grid Reference: SO 166293, QTH Locator: IO81JW



View from the col.
The plan today was to take a run to South Wales and rack up 12 activator points in one go. This would be my most productive day to date if I pulled it off. The two summits, Mynydd Troed and Mynydd Llangorse, can both be accessed from the col which separates them. I set off from the house with temperatures hovering around freezing point, so I knew this was going to be a cold day. The narrow country lane leading up to the parking spot (SO161283) was strewn  with ice patches where run off covered the road.
Trig point
I quickly booted up and set about attacking the higher of the two summits first. This is quite a climb which gets very steep towards the top. Luckily, with it being a popular hill, there were plenty of  foot holds kicked into the hillside from the regular walkers. Towards the top there is a path which contours around to the tri point which makes the final climb much easier.
On the summit I opted to set the pole into the trig point as I didn't expect I'd be in anyone's way today, the ground was frozen solid so pegs were going to be a problem, and there were no other obvious supports.

The strong wind also meant I couldn't raise the mast completely as I was worried it would break.
Setting up in a hollow to keep out tf the wind, the thermometer was showing -11C. With the wind chill operating without gloves was not an option!
Contacts came quick and fast, knocking off 60 contacts, 18 DXCC.

Getting down out of the wind
As I was packing up a couple of walkers arrived. we had a quick chat before they left. They were the only other people I would see all day on both hills.
I quickly gathered by kit and started down the descent. At the car I ate some lunch, warmed up a bit and then started on the ascent of Mynyyd Lllangorse.
Ice

View over to Mynydd Llangorse

No comments:

Post a Comment