Friday 24 February 2012

A second SOTA Shakedown.

Cleeve Hill - 330m, 1 point

Association: England  Region: Central England  
Latitude: 51 55 11 N, Longitude: 2 0 20 W
Grid Reference: SO 996245, QTH Locator: IO81XW

Well I returned to Cleeve Hill to check out the gear and address the lessons learnt from last time.
Armed with gloves, longer straps, a flask of coffee and some food I hit the hill again.

Got the antenna up unpacked the radio and guess what?
The BNC to RCA adaptor which fits on the antenna tuner is sitting on my desk at home!
Not only that but so is my tool kit.
Whoops!

Using my car keys I hack off the BNC plug and use my teeth to strip back the coax.
Then with the aid of a convenient twig and a crocodile clip I fashioned a connection to the tuner.

Doctored patch lead.

This brought me a very pleasing 65 QSOs and 21 DXCC which, under the circumstances, is not to be sneezed at.

Another valuable lessons learnt, But we're getting there!



No comments:

Post a Comment