Wednesday 28 August 2013

SOTA - Walton Hill - G/CE-002

Walton Hill - 316m, 1 point

Association: England  Region: Central England  
Latitude: 52 24 58 N, Longitude: 2 5 9 W
Grid Reference: SO 942797, QTH Locator: IO82WJ



A quick check of the summits database showed me that I could work in a couple of activations before an early afternoon airport pickup at East Midland airport. With that settled, I  set off at 0800 to head first to Walton Hill. On arrival at Walton Hill I found an empty car park and I had soon gathered my kit and was ascending what's got to be one of the easiest summits in the region. A short walk very quickly brought me to the trig point. A  convenient fence nearby was used to erect the pole, and very quickly I was on the air. 20 metres was pretty dire but conditions on 40 metres was much better with a short steady run of  stations quickly in the log. This was also the first outing of my new Palm pico paddle and I was very happy with its operation. I still prefer my AME Porta paddle, but the pico is much smaller and compact for really minimalist activations. With a tight timeline for the day, I packed up and was on my way towards Bardon Hill within an hour of arrival.


A good run on 40 metres

Convenient fence!

Waiting for the sun to come out


No comments:

Post a Comment