Sunday 22 March 2015

SOTA - Slieveanorra - GI/AH-003


Slieveanorra - 508m, 4 points

Association: Northern Ireland Region: Antrim Hills
Latitude: 55 4 25 N, Longitude: 6 13 31 W
Grid Reference: D 134266, QTH Locator: IO65VB


After Trostan, I made my way the short distance to the access road for Slieveanorra. There were 2 cars already parked in the gateway, but there was plenty of room to accommodate me and a few others.
Parking spot
This was a pleasant and easy ascent, initially through a forested area, before opening up to barren moorland. There were no bogs to contend with this time! There is a wide gravel path all the way to the summit.

Route

Through the forest

Gravel track to summit
Never far from the Moyle Way

Near the top there is a memorial plaque and information board relating to a crashed USAAF, B17 Flying Fortress, lost in 1942. It was here that I met the only two other hikers I'd see all day.




There's a stone summit shelter at the top, but I decided it was more sheltered tucked in behind the transmitter building. It was still blowing a gale, although a lot warmer than the early morning activation.


The shack.
 A quick set up and I was ready to operate with great views across to the distinctive summit of Knocklayd (AH-002) and the cliffs of  Rathlin Island beyond.

Knocklayd and Rathlin in the distance

Conditions were down, compared to the morning, with 40 QSO's including  3 nice S2Ss with LX/G4OBK/p on LX/LX-002, EA1AER/p on EA1/LA-098 and G4RQJ/p on G/NP-015.
QSO map from Log2Map by ON6ZQ.

The activation concluded when the guying ring on my mast broke bringing the antenna tumbling to the ground! It had been punished enough for one day in the strong winds.
An easy descent, and then rush home for Sunday dinner, to bring my little GI visit to a finish,
once again blessed with beautiful sunny days.
I'll be back to finish off the three remaining GI/AH region summits and then concentrate on the Mourne Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment