Thursday 25 June 2015

SOTA - Dundry Down - G/SC-010

Dundry Down - 233m, 1 point

Association: England Region: South Central
Latitude: 51 23 50 N, Longitude: 2 38 38 W
Grid Reference: ST 553667, QTH Locator: IO81QJ


After Beacon Batch, it was a short drive back past Bristol Airport to the village of Dundry.
The carpark in the village is actually within the activation zone, but I took the small walk across the field to my usual position by a stone wall and barbed wire fence. Due to rot, one of the fence posts is hollow and makes an ideal pole support without the need for any guys or straps. It was therefore a quick setup and I was on the air by 0800L.

Operating position

What a difference a couple of hours make! Europe had now woken up and contacts came along more quickly than earlier, but conditions were still very poor.

The shack
As I was operating, I received a text message from my daughter, to say she'd landed safely in Greece.
I was still within sight of the planes taking off and landing at Bristol Airport!

Bristol Airport

Clifton Suspension Bridge

I ended up operating for an hour and 45 mins and all that netted was 33 contacts.
Four S2Ss however from OK2PDT/p on OK/PA-017, Dl4MHA/p om DL/MF-056, DL/PB2T/p on DM/BM-052 and HB9/F5HTR/p on HB/VD-020.





An interesting morning out, but by midday I was ready for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment